This last Sunday my parents, Jay and I saw Leonard Cohen perform at the Orpheum Theater! Jay and I headed up to my parent's house and from there we went out for dinner before the concert. From dinner we headed to the Orpheum.
I was surprised by the diversity of the audience! Young and old, different races and ethnicities, and generally people from all walks of life. When the show started, I was also surprised by the variety of instruments. There was an electric organ, Spanish guitar, steel guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, standing bass, drums, harmonica, accordion, harp, and a few different kind of wind instruments. It even looked like there was some kind of synthesizer-wind instrument. Hey Paul, have you ever heard of such a thing?!
The performance itself was really good! I heard all my favorites like "First We Take Manhattan," "Hallelujah," "Everybody Knows," and "If It Be Your Will." Mr. Cohen had a tendancy to sing on his knees, almost like he was seranading other performers on the stage. He spoke to the audience a couple times and he seemed like a very thoughful, cordial gentleman. He talked about the last time he performed in Minneapolis as 'a foolish young 60 year-old' and how he had done so many things, and taken so many drugs since then. Drugs like Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, etc... According to his page on Wikipedia (and if it's on teh Interwebs it's gotta be true) he has strugled with depression for a while. At the end of the concert he even refered to the audience as his friends and thanked us for the warm welcome. Of course for a while I was wondering when the concert was going to end. There were at least two encores! The audience just kept applauding, and Mr. Cohen and the band kept coming out for another set! All in all the concert ran for about another hour! When we got out it was about 11:30pm so Jay and I said good-bye to my parents and headed home.
For anyone interested the local papers had some reviews:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment