Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'M AN UNCLE!

My brother and his wife just had their first kid yesterday morning!
I got a call, and my Dad left a message Monday night saying my brother and his wife were heading to the hospital and a long labor was expected.
I got a call from my brother Tuesday morning and he addressed me as "Uncle Eric." Then he reeled off all the birth statistics like weight and length. We talked for a little bit and I told him Jay and I would head up to The Cities after work to see everyone.
I left work a little early, picked up a teddy bear for my new niece, picked up Jay and we headed up to The Cities.
We got to the hospital without too many problems and when we got to the room, my Dad, brother and his wife were there. My brother was sitting and holding his daughter, who was all wrapped up in a pink blanket with a little pink hat that kept falling off! She was born with a pretty full head of hair! He asked if I wanted to hold her and I said "Yeah!" I took her, and made sure I was supporting her head, and took my brother's spot in the chair. She was really bundled up! It was hard to see her face at first because she had one little sleeve-covered hand, and the blanket covering her face. She pretty much just slept in my arms the whole time, and would twitch a little bit when I shifted around.
We all sat around talking for a little bit. My sister-in-law looked a little out of it and pretty sore but I suppose twelve hours of labor will do that! There weren't any major complications with the birth process. My dad took off after a little while.
A little while later someone needed a change, so I handed my niece over to my brother. His wife commented that she was going to have to teach him how to change a diaper. The baby started fussing a little bit during the process but everybody made it through!
Everyone was looking a little tired at that point so Jay and I headed back home. We didn't take any pictures because we didn't want to wake the baby with camera flashes. There will be plenty of opportunity on Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Uncle Eric!