Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

Well we're coming up on the holiday season yet again! This year for Thanksgiving Jay and I went up to my parent's house. Jay got up Thursday morning to make fresh rolls for dinner. When the rolls were done, we took off for The Cities. We made it to Mom and Dad's place without hitting any serious traffic. I was kind of wondering how the day would go since the family gained a new member a couple days ago!
Well, my brother, his wife, and their daughter wouldn't be checking out of the hospital until 2pm, so dinner would be about 3pm. In the meantime we went downstairs to help Mom finish assembling a playpen/crib/changing table. The thing apparently required four adults (Mom, Dad, Jay and myself) to assemble, but folds conveniently into a little carrying bag. Someone will have to let me know how that works out because it took two of us to get it half-collapsed and carried upstairs!
My grandfather showed up around noon, and we pretty much sat around talking. Since babies were still a hot topic, baby books and old photo albums came out. I'm sure Jay found some funny blackmail material from my childhood!
My brother, his wife, and the baby showed up around 3pm, and dinner was pretty much ready to serve by then. Mom and Dad had prepared the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, you get the idea.
When I was stuffed, I went over to see what the baby was up to. She was squirming a little bit so I figured I wouldn't be waking her up if I picked her up. I was holding her for all of ten seconds before she started crying. I must have looked completely lost because Jay started laughing. After about a minute my sister in law said she was probably hungry, so I passed the baby over to her. The crying stopped as soon as she was in her mother's arms and the two of them went downstairs.
Eventually everyone wound up back in the living room talking. There wasn't a huge opportunity for pictures since the baby was dozing most of the time, and I didn't really want to wake her up with camera flashes. I got a good one of Dad holding her though.
My brother, his wife, and the baby took off a little while later. They only stopped at their place for a little while after leaving the hospital, so I sure they wanted to go home and get things sorted.
After we all had a chance to digest a little bit, the pumpkin pie was served. Grandpa left a little after that and peoples attention turned to cleaning up the dining room, washing dishes, and making sure Jay and I had plenty of leftovers! When it was our turn to leave we actually had a cooler full of leftovers and Meals in the Bag that had been hanging around in Mom and Dad's freezer for a little bit. There was hugging and thank-yous at the front door. Then we piled the cooler in the car and headed back home!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Congratulations uncle Eric! :)