Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Weekend

It's been a pretty quiet weekend. Saturday morning at nine I went down to the mall to buy a compost bin. The paper had an advertisement this week announcing that the county's Public Works department was offering compost bins for only $40. I've checked local stores in the past an no one carried compost bins. Since just piling stuff up behind the garden shed didn't seem to be working Jay and I decided buying this one probably couldn't hurt. Well since the sale started at nine, I figured I'd get down there right away and beat the crowds. Turns out about a hundred other people had the same idea. I assumed the setup would be something like the electronics recycling event, that was also at the mall a few weeks ago, where you drive up in your car, conduct your business, and drive off again. No such luck. I parked the car and joined the other people standing in line. Fortunately I had my umbrella in the car and I grabbed it since it was overcast. It's a good thing I did, because after standing in line for twenty to thirty minutes, dark storm clouds rolled in bringing thunder, lightning, wind and rain. My it's amazing how quickly you can make friends with the people around when you're trying to shelter them under a huge umbrella! Well eventually the rain moved on, the line moved up, and I was the proud owner of a compost bin! It was a lot bigger than I though. You can't tell by the picture, but it's about two and a half feet in diameter, and close to three feet tall. When I got home, I assembled it and set it up behind the garden shed.
I also ran around the yard picking up a branches that the strong winds knocked out of the trees. It's been overcast and rainy for the last week, and Saturday it was incredibly humid out too. I suppose that's excellent weather for growing grass, because the parts of the lawn we re-seeded three weeks ago are really starting to fill in. There are sill some bare spots that don't show up well in the pictures, but it's looking better than it was before. Thanks to my brother for suggesting the slit seeder.

We were going to have friends over later that night, so I started tidying up the house. I was getting really hot and sweaty so I tried turning the air conditioner on. Well the condenser (the outside part with the fan) wasn't running so Jay tried troubleshooting via text message and a phone call. Turns out one of the circuit breakers was turned off.
When I checked my e-mail the Toyota dealer had written to say my car has been allocated and hopefully it will be in at the end of the month!
Saturday evening Paul and Erin came over for pizza, margaritas, and a movie! Mom called to ask about plans for Father's Day and Jay's Mom's birthday, but she let me go when I said we had company.
We ate and chatted for a while. Eventually we headed downstairs and watched Dogma. People were pretty tired after the movie so Paul and Erin went home, and I went to bed a little while later.
Sunday I slept in. After waking up I watched the latest bootleg of Doctor Who with a nice cup of coffee. I thought one of the characters looked familiar and it was actually Alex Kingston who played Dr. Elizabeth Corday on ER. The season is almost over and I'm still wondering if the big reveal is really going to be Rose's return, or something else.
The morning was rounded out with a cleaning of the gutters.
Because it looks like it's going to rain.
Again...
I spent the afternoon reading and filling out some paperwork for a class action settlement. Apple settled over some power adapter problems and I was affected. Once Jay got home I called Mom back. It sounds like there's nothing special planned for Jay's Mom's birthday, so we just made plans for Father's Day!

Twelve days until vacation in Chicago!

No comments: